Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Curating with Symbaloo

One of the questions I get most often from teachers is how to organize online resources quickly and easily so they can be utilized at a later time.  While there are lots of choices when it comes to bookmarking (or curating) online resources, the one that I have found most useful is Symbaloo.

Symbaloo is a website that allows users to create Webmixes, or groups of bookmarks to other websites.  What's nice about this particular tool, is that it allows you to organize in many ways.  I prefer to make a Webmix for each topic that I'm collecting resources for, and then to color code them to organize them further.  But there is no right or wrong way to do this, so play around with it and find what works for you.

Once you have created your Webmix, you then can share it with others.  They will not be able to edit the Webmix (so they can't add bookmarks or delete them) but they can utilize it.  This makes it a great tool to share your links with your students as well as other colleagues.  This tool is also available for students

How it has helped me...

My students each have created a blog, as well as a Livebinder (digital portfolio) that they are constantly adding content to.  So every week as I was doing my grading, I was constantly having to click in and out of documents that contained their website links.  This was a time consuming and cumbersome process that was very frustrating for me.  I knew there had to be a better way!

Professional Career Internship Symbaloo Webmix


I took a few minutes and created a Webmix that stores all of the links to my students websites.  Now, when it's time to grade, I go to my Symbaloo site, and everything I need is right there.  I've also added links to Skyward and My Big Campus, which has saved me a great deal of time navigating back and forth through these sites that I use daily with my students.

If this is something that you think might be helpful to you, please go ahead and give it a try!  You will need to go to Symbaloo.com and create an account.  Then you will be ready start building your own Webmixes.  Below is a quick video about how to get started.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks Kari. Since I am "new" to the Symbaloo, would you suggest starting with one webmix until I get the handle of it, or would you suggest making webmixes for the categories I want and add that way??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could start with making one for yourself of the websites that you use most, just to get the hang of it. Then you can make one for each class or topic (depending on how many tiles you will need). You also can search for other peoples Webmixes that they have made, which can be really helpful to give you a place to start.

    ReplyDelete